|Serves 8 * Prep time 10 * Bake time 15 * Ready in 25|
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
1 container fresh blueberries (6 oz)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 large egg
Sugar in the raw, for sprinkling
1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Grate butter into flour mixture on the large holes of a box grater; use your fingers to work in butter (mixture should resemble coarse meal).
3. In a small bowl, whisk sour cream and egg until smooth.
4. Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. Use your hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball. Gently stir in blueberries.
5. Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7 to 8-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick. Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 triangles; place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, about 1 inch apart. Sprinkle with sugar in the raw. Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.
Original recipe found at allreceipes.com under name Simple Scones. Modified version above.