|Serves 6 * Picture & Recipe courtesy of Fearless Homemaker|
- 1 1/2 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded + chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cups chicken broth
- the meat of 1 rotisserie chicken (about 3-4 cups), shredded (i used both white + dark meat)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 can (14 oz) petite diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup pitted + quartered kalamata olives (i omitted these because of an olive-hatin’ husband, but i’d recommend adding them in for additional flavor + color!)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Steam the butternut squash until barely tender, about 10 minutes. remove half of the squash pieces + set aside.
- Steam the remaining squash until very tender, an additional 4 to 6 minutes. mash this squash with the back of a fork. set aside.
- In a large saucepan set over medium heat, add the olive oil. add the onion + cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is starting to turn golden, 8 to 10 minutes. add the minced garlic + oregano – cook, stirring, for 1 additional minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes, butternut squash pieces, mashed butternut squash, chicken broth, + quinoa. stir to combine. bring to a simmer, cover + cook until the quinoa turns translucent, about 15 minutes.
- add the shredded chicken, kalamata olives, + salt + pepper. simmer, uncovered, until chicken is heated through + sauce has thickened to your liking. for me, this took about 10-15 more minutes. add more Salt/pepper if needed, to taste.
- Garnish with the fresh parsley + serve.