these are so good
I hope our new neighbors like the treat.
32 caramel squares, unwrapped
½ cup heavy cream
¾ cup butter, melted
¾ cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips I found that to be too much chocolate...
- Preheat your oven to 350.
Grease an8×8 pan or you can line it with aluminum foil or parchment paper for easier removal. The caramel gets very sticky. (This can also be made in a 9×13, by doubling the ingredients)
- In a mixing bowl, combine melted butter and brown sugar. Add flour, oats, and baking soda. Mix until combined well.
- Divide the cookie mixture in half and pat half of the mix into the bottom of the 8×8 pan. Bake for 10 minutes and remove from oven.
- While the crust is baking, combine the caramels and heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat; stir until completely melted and smooth. The caramels can also be melted in the microwave, just stir after every 30 seconds being careful not to let it burn. The microwave version worked very well when using my ceramic bowl. Very easy to clean. Also the heavy cream made the caramel stay perfectly gooey for days.
- Remove pan from the oven, immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over the crust. Pour warm melted caramel mixture over the chocolate chips and crumble remaining cookie dough on top.
- Return to oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until the edges are lightly brown.
- Once removed from the oven, allow them to completely cool and the caramel to set up. The caramel is like molten caramel right out of the oven and you want to let it cool. You can speed up the cooling process by putting it in the fridge if needed.
- Gluten Free Version: Use gluten free flour.
- Use certified gluten free oatmeal, can be found at Trader Joe's
TRICKS & TIPS