I love everything in cupcake form, which is why I immediately jumped on the Cupcake Calzone recipe the moment it was spotted. Created by the Cupcake Project, below is my slightly modified version:
Yield: 12 calzone cupcakes
1. Prepare your favorite dough.
Cupcake project recommended Pizza Dough, however, I found I preferred the longer dough setting on my breadmaker.
- 3/4 C water
- 1 tbsp garlic olive oil (I used regular extra virgin olive oil.)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 C flour (if making whole wheat, use 1/2 cup whole wheat flower and 2 cups white flower)
- 1 3/4 tsp yeast
2. Prepare your favorite calzone filling.
- 1/2 large zucchini, roughly chopped
- 1/2 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- juice of 1 lime
3. Prepare the calzone cupcakes.
- Filling (from above)
- 2 C shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 C crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Roll out the pizza dough about 1/4" thick and line the bottom and sides of the indentations in a cupcake tin.
- Put a thin layer of shredded mozzarella cheese on top of each piece of dough.
- Fill the cupcake with the filling.
- Top with another thin layer of mozzarella cheese and some crumbled feta.
- Top each cupcake with another piece of pizza dough and press firmly around the edges of the cupcake to seal it (as shown below). If necessary, use a butter knife to cut off any excess dough.
- Bake for 14 minutes. Don't turn off your oven yet. You'll need it for the next step.
- Hot unfrosted calzone cupcakes (from above).
- 1 C pasta or pizza sauce
- 12 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 C shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- Transfer the hot calzone cupcakes to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spoon a small amount of sauce on top of each cupcake.
- Use a cookie cutter or the rim of a glass to cut the mozzarella into circles that cover the top of the cupcake (as shown below) and place the cheese on top of the sauce.
- If desired, top the cheese circles with a small amount of the shredded cheese. This makes the top of the cupcake look a bit bumpier - like it has sprinkles.
- Put the cookie sheet of cupcakes back into the oven for one minute or until the cheese is just melted.
- Remove from the oven, top with cherry tomatoes, and serve warm.