Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Poached Eggs

After numerous run ins with poached eggs (Saturday diner breakfasts I rarely attend, scene from Julia & Julie, Southern Living website, Master Chef episode), I finally took the time to experiment on my own. Turns out it is quite easy to make an acceptable poached egg.

I tried twice, using two different techniques and both outcomes were successful.


The first technique (upper left) is to gently drop the raw egg into a simmering pot (water + vinegar) and constantly tuck spoon around the egg to maintain the shape. The second technique (bottom right) is to stir the simmering water + vinegar and while stirring, gently drop the raw egg in. This supposidely forms the shape quicker. With both techniques I immediately put poached egg into ice water and then on a paper tower to dry off.


Some day I'll learn how to keep the water clean by preventing white yolk from dispersing throughout pot.

Future poached egg recipes to try: Shrimp & Grits Eggs Benedict published by Southern Living,

No comments:

Post a Comment