Friday, November 14, 2014
Chicken in Tomato Sauce With Chickpeas and Kale
YIELD: Serves 4 * ACTIVE TIME: 45 minutes * TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes
1 cup breadcrumbs (I didn't use)
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
1 medium garlic clove, minced or grated with a Microplane
4 skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 shallot, thinly sliced
Pinch of dried red chili flakes
1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
1 cup homemade chicken stock or store-bought, low-sodium chicken broth
1 (14-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cups lacinato (Tuscan) kale, stems removed and leaves cut into 2-inch ribbons
1. Optional if you are going to use breadcrumbs - Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until hot. Add the breadcrumbs and toast them, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon thyme, and the garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute longer. Transfer breadcrumbs to plate and set aside.
2. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. In the same skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add chicken and sear on both sides until golden-brown, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
3. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet and heat over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add shallot and a pinch of salt and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add chili flakes and remaining 1 tablespoon each oregano and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, their liquid and the stock and bring to a simmer, breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Simmer until sauce has thicken slightly, about 10 minutes. Add chicken and simmer until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
4. Stir in chickpeas and kale and cook until chickpeas are warmed through and kale is wilted, about 2 minutes. Top with the breadcrumbs and serve immediately.
Recipe from Serious Eats.
Posted by Sharón at 10:34 AM 0 comments
Energizing Farro Citrus Lunch Bowl
Ready in 20 minutes
- 1 cup uncooked farro, prepared according to package instructions (15 minutes)
- a couple pieces of grilled chicken and/or egg
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly chopper and sauteed
- a couple scallions, green part
- 1/4 cup mint chopped
- optional add 1/2 avocado
- white balsamic vinegar
- splash of olive oil
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 1 orange, squeezed
- optional red pepper flakes and garlic
Posted by Sharón at 10:33 AM 0 comments
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)