2 tablespoons + 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided (30 mL + 45 mL, divided)
2 onions, chopped
4 cups white mushrooms (700 g)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp ground allspice (2.5ml)
2 tablespoons soy sauce (30 ml)
1 to 2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons tomato paste (30 ml)
1 can (14 oz/398 ml) coconut milk (full fat, do not use light)
salt and pepper to taste
4 sheets phylio pastry (instead of phylio pastry, I put a layer of mashed potatoes below and above)
4 cups baby spinach (110 g)
For added protein, you can also add in one of the layers either cooked lentils or vegan 'meat' crumbles.
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
2. In a large frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons (30 mL) oil. Brown mushrooms and onions for 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Add garlic, allspice, soy sauce, maple syrup, and tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in coconut milk, mix well and COOK UNTIL THE SAUCE THICKENS , about 10 to 15 minutes.
5. On a lightly floured surface, using 3 tablespoons (45 mL) oil, lightly brush one sheet of phyllo with oil. Cover with a second sheet and brush lightly with oil again. Repeat for all 4 layers of phyllo.
6. Place prepared phyllo sheets in 9X5 in. (23X13 cm) bread pan, making sure one side overlaps (allowing you to fold it over once mixture has been added).
7. Pour mushroom mixture over phyllo and garnish with spinach leaves.
8. Fold phyllo dough over and lightly brush with oil.
9. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
10. Note: Canned coconut milk should contain only coconut or sometimes a thickening agent like guar gum but no sugar ao anything else added.
Recipe from The Buddhist Chef.
Pairs well with oven roasted fire salted brussels and red wine.
Post a Comment